[Magdalen] Applebee Project

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Wed Dec 2 20:41:21 UTC 2015

From: M J _Mike_ Logsdon

>Someone earlier wondered just how the current gun craze-culture came about (or
>something like that).  My take on it is that in a land that at least in our own
> >heads (collectively speaking) is the ultimate terrestrial "last frontier",
>letting go of how we actually *did* the westward migration, -- for those
>already gun->oriented --, is hard to let go of.  The result?  "Militias" of all
>stripes, and my favorite current saint of the mindset, Cliven Bundy and his
>"sheriff's the highest >[only?] authority" bunch.  Last year's standoff at
>gunpoint with federal officers over Bundy's theft of federal monies (unpaid
>grazing fees) made me more sick >than (though not always, so don't worry)
>listening to The Donald today.

Contemporary Americans have no concept of the "last frontier." But many have
been convinced there are loads of African-American "Bad Guys" ready to loot
their homes and rape their wives -- thanks in large measure to media coverage of
urban unrest, starting with Watts and a lot of other racist stuff they either
see on TV or interpret as such. I can't think of very many gun owners/collectors
I now who don’t have a racist streak -- ranging from mild to virulent. When I
was in Philipsburg three weeks ago and made a crack about the NRA, there were
several in the audience who later unloaded as to how they need "protection" from
those [N-word] coming up from the city.

In the local Times Tribune here in Scranton, all the Civic-minded and
Charity=minded people in photos (I counted 1400 locals in photos one week -- a
great print business model) but save for the occasional high school football
star, the only photos of persons of color or Latinos happen to be perps -- thus
reinforcing the notion that people need "protection."

As ugly as it gets, I think.

Jim Guthrie