[Magdalen] Applebee Project

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 02:15:31 UTC 2015

In a message dated 12/2/2015 4:35:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

loads of  African-American "Bad Guys" ready to loot
their homes and rape their wives  -- thanks in large measure to media
coverage of
urban unrest, starting  with Watts and a lot of other racist stuff they

Early Monday morning the doorbell rang at 2:30 AM.  Since it  takes
me awhile to get to the front door, there was also knocking at one of  the
front deck windows.

Without opening the door I asked who was there.  An  Africa-American
voice said he was delivering papers and went into a ditch and needed
help.  He admitted to having a cellular phone.  I told him  through the
closed/locked door to call AAA.  Then I called the police.  The  township
policeman on duty asked me whether the man was "Black or Hispanic".

The same policeman later confirmed that his complaint was genuine,
and he did get help getting out of one of our development's steep
"swales" (ditches).  This was all very much to our relief, but  the
sleep was fitful for both of us from that time on.

I must confess that I thought the worst when I heard the doorbell,
and it was increased when I heard his voice.  I guess it  was
an unconscious bit of racial profiling.

David Strang.