[Magdalen] Education.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 05:27:14 UTC 2015

Hi, M --

No worries!  The masses were very likely used in the private devotions of
the Petre family.  They had a long association with William, and they were
"discrete" Catholics.  I read that William published his masses as
"kiries," or some such thing, avoiding calling them masses. In the police
state that prevailed then, it is interesting that William apparently was so
highly regarded that he was able to function. The spies were everywhere,
and it is not believable that his faith and activities were not known to
them.

I had the pleasure of singing one of the masses a few years ago.  Marvelous
and compact things!

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford