[Magdalen] Education.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 16:31:40 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Jay Weigel <jay.weigel at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I was a kid and went to the Catholic church with my friend Sarah Jane,
> I saw people putting money into plates at the door as they went into the
> nave. I thought they were paying to get in! She had to explain to me that
> THAT was how they took up their offering. I thought it was weird.

Our church has a slot for offerings at the base of the statue of the
BVM...the offerings are to "defray" (one of those words you see only
connected with church) costs of the votive candles. It looks like
people are putting money in the statue to get it to activate and put
on a show or something. My weird mind.

Turns out the money inserted there goes down a pipe to the unfloored
(floor is just sand) part of the basement, where there's a big plastic
rubbish bin that collects the cash. This was forgotten for some years
and the money finally collected and deposited. Big improvement in the
candle budget!

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA