[Magdalen] Education.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 17:18:40 UTC 2015

In a message dated 12/3/2015 11:22:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

When I  was a kid and went to the Catholic church with my friend Sarah Jane,
I saw  people putting money into plates at the door as they went into the
nave. I  thought they were paying to get in! She had to explain to me that
THAT was  how they took up their offering. I thought it was  weird.>>>>>>>>

Yes; different denominations and different offertory customs.

The old USA Norwegian Lutheran Synod had a tradition of placing
Christmas and Easter offerings directly on the altar itself.

This gave those so inclined a chance to show off their finest  outfits.

When visiting relatives whose parish church was of that Synod on
those days, it was an exciting adventure for me as a youngster to
participate and to see the sanctuary and choir up close.

David Strang.