[Magdalen] Jackson & Lee.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 19:13:39 UTC 2015

The latest issue of the Washington National Cathedral periodical,
"Cathedral Age" has an article accompanied by full color of  reproduction
in detail of the windows in the Cathedral dedicated to the memory of
USA Civil War Confederacy Generals Stonewall Jackson and Robert E.  Lee.

In line with events elsewhere, the two Confederate Battleflags  pictured
have been eliciting commentary as to their appropriateness.

The Cathedral Dean has flat out stated that in his opinion the  "windows
need to come out and be replaced by something more appropriate."
The Cathedral Chapter, however, has called out for constructive  commentary
and discussion about this before taking a rash action they may be  sorry
for later.

There are numerous flags in the windows, but only two small  Confederate
Battle Flags (the "Stars and Bars") which, in these detailed medieval  style
and color - heavy on the blue and red - windows are hard to pick out.
If the flags are to be removed as some wish, it seems to me they  could
simply be replaced with regimental banners or some such, and the
rest of the windows left alone.

It should be clear that I am opposed to purposeful modern display
of the Confederate Battleflag on homes, churches, and public
buildings.  How important this minor display in historical setting may  be
is
open to discussion, indeed.

The Cathedral has determined that whatever the eventual outcome.
the windows, which in my opinion are otherwise very well designed,
will be on display "somewhere in the Cathedral Complex."

David Strang.