[Magdalen] Exorcism

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:31:07 UTC 2015

A rector some years ago in another parish taught a course on Christian
meditation, pretty much what is often called "contemplative prayer"
now: in silence, one empties one's mind of thoughts with the help of a
mantra or "holy word" to focus on, letting distractions be things that
just float by in space. This creates space in which to hear God and/or
simply be in the presence of God. The rector was a very progressive
social-justice-minded priest, so I found it surprising to hear from
him that we need to choose our "holy word" well and that it include
the Name of Jesus, "because there are other spirits out there." He
said this in a way that made it clear he wanted us to get that point
if no other.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA