[Magdalen] "Services of the Church" (hello CoE folk).

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 9 17:10:45 UTC 2015

>>>Sadly the way of modern revisions one needs several books now to perform
the task this smaller volume did.<<<

Like Rome's 4-vol Liturgy of the Hours, instead of the 1-vol 1975 Collegeville Book of Prayer (itself the 4th edition of its own Short Breviary), which the US bishops banned and hounded into fully sold-out collectability.  Funny that.  Fr Trump doesn't come out of thin air, does he?

>>>A leather bound gilt edged edition sounds a little treasure. The 'musty'
smell (sometimes incense soaked smell) is not uniusual and adds character!
I find the smell can be reduced if a book is placed outside, opened, in a
fresh air for a while.<<<

It might be an incense gone woefully wrong, but I must confess (and we all have such strange olfactory anchor points at times) it smells to me of the STRONGEST possible version of "old Band-aids".  It literally must be washed off after touching it.  Some incense is foul, so I hardly doubt that might be it.

And actually, even though I have no doubt it's of great value to collectors (I bought it after all, and though not at a huge price, still not with pocket change), if anyone wants it, I'll gladly make of it a Christmas prezzie.  These days, post-50, I obtain things not just for my own archival enjoyment, but also for Everett's eventual financial boon, provided the market allows (and he knows to allow for that allowance, only willing to sell low if absolutely necessary).  He wonders why I occasionally buy silver from Govmint.com, because it merely gets stowed away.  I tell him that just because silver today is half the value of when I first started collecting it, doesn't mean it won't be something to shout about away on down the road when he might need it.  Wink wink.