[Magdalen] Easter Surprise at Sydney.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Dec 9 21:01:55 UTC 2015

I happened upon some videos on You Tube of various liturgies at
St. Mary's RC Cathedral, Sydney, Australia.  I'm really impressed  with the
Liturgy and the quality of music, both via choirs and congregation.

The new Archbishop must have a traditional streak with all of the
Latin used, including the Latin Proper, and the classical Renaissance
unaccompanied polyphony.

The Cathedral building itself is very English looking (no surprise)
and even the sanctuary looks Anglican - note the fully vested high
altar.  Also note the lovely contrast in the Easter Day Mass  entrance
hymn, "Jesus Christ is Risen Today," with the mysterious and almost
electrifying chant choir's singing of the Latin Easter Introit
"Resurrexit."
I am Risen).

Gold vestments for the day don't hurt the picture, either.  The  extra
(in this case 7th) central candle which indicates the (Arch)Bishop is
celebrating is a traditional touch that AFAIK is still the custom at
Christ Church Cathedral, Eau Claire USA.

The organist appears to have a flamboyant style witnessed by his
bombastic entry into the Easter Vigil Liturgy at the Gloria, and his
prelude to the Easter Day Liturgy.  That's fine with me.  Easter  can
well be bombastic.

It wouldn't surprise me that a fair sprinkling of Anglicans are at  those
liturgies given the extreme austerity of the Anglican Diocese of  Sydney.
I believe "the brothers" are now retired, but the Sydney Diocese  hasn't
changed, I suspect.

David Strang.