[Magdalen] Exorcism

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 06:31:53 UTC 2015

I would not say something like "A Good God _couldn't_ do that!". I said I
can't see how that can work.  Just saying that if God just feels like being
mean --- well, your mileage may differ, but I don't think that's the God
described in the Bible.

 And I respectfully disagree. If you take the description of God in
scripture seriously, then all things are not possible with God.

If we believe that we can depend on God, then we firmly maintain that all
things are NOT possible with God.  If anything is possible, obviously you
can't depend on God. I think that's fairly obvious.

To say, "Well, God can do whatever God decides to do," sounds very pious
and good, but is it, really?  If God is good, then it follows that God will
do not evil.  I don't think we ought to say, a la Old Testament, that God
creates both good and evil and sends them on whomever he pleases.  That
just makes God a supernatural Taliban.

I also think I am encouraged to press the point a bit more because what it
looks like we are doing is trying to use these hypothetical evil entities
to say that we are not really so awful at heart; it's those evil demons
running around causing problems. Not our fault.

I'm afraid that I still have to say, if this is the case, then we have to
wrestle with the question of how a good god can create evil entities and
approve of their actions.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford