[Magdalen] right to bear arms

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Sat Dec 12 17:21:32 UTC 2015

It should be noted that slavery was legal in all states *North* of the
Mason-Dixon line (other that Vermont!), with those states not outlawing it
until shortly after the Revolution. Doing genealogy uncovered that fact that
several of my wife's ancestors in Connecticut owned slaves. As did some of
mine, but they were in what became West Virginia, which was then part of
Virginia. Also, I have an old Book of Common Prayer in which the owner
recorded how he got rid of his slaves (he had ~8 of them) right around the
year 1800. The man was a prominent doctor living in Bristol, Pa. -
Pennsylvania didn't outlaw slavery until 1800 or shortly thereafter.

Finally, it should also be noted that the majority of white people in the
South before the Civil War did not own slaves - slaves were expensive, so
only rich folk owned them. I have lots of ancestors who lived around
Fairmont, WV (part of Virginia until the Civil War), who were all poor
farmers. AFAIK, none of them owned slaves.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com