[Magdalen] right to bear arms

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Dec 12 21:08:53 UTC 2015

From: Lynn Ronkainen

>Cantor03>The other aspect of this is I don't get the impression that whatever
>slavery was practiced in the USA North was the basis for the entire
>socioeconomic system there as it had become in the South.

They figured out early on that employees who could be laid off and responsible
for their own housing and food was a lot cheaper than slaves, who had to be
taken care of whether business was good or bad.

There's plenty of evidence in the economic history realm that has done the
statistical work on this, as well as scholars who've proven that on the whole,
the only ones who consistently made a profit off slavery were cotton brokers in
New York City as well as British New England and textile factories.

That's one reason that some NYC business people lobbied fror exemption from the
blockade and the like during the Civil War, and why Confederate leaders tried to
cut their own deals with England.

It should be noted that the profits that accrued in NYC as opposed to the South
lives on in the animus in many parts of the South toward New York City.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie