[Magdalen] School district threat shutdown.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Tue Dec 15 18:25:21 UTC 2015

A few years ago, there was a kind of fad in my county, a rash of bomb
threats, mostly phoned in, mostly to the courthouse, but occasionally to
one or more schools.  Since buildings were evacuated and searched every
time (couldn't take chances), this was getting expensive, and in more
than money, for a small county.  Among other things, they had an armed
deputy in the courthouse entryway at all times that the building was
unlocked, and a notice on the door that anyone who came in was liable to
be searched.  The list of things that were prohibited for bringing in
was ridiculous, including, among many other things, nail clippers.
Nothing ever really happened, just the disruption and expense.

At least one (I don't get all the news all the time: maybe not even half
the time) of the callers was caught: a young woman who wanted the
courthouse evacuated and closed so that her boyfriend would get out of
his appointment with his Probation Officer.

But there have been enough horrible and bloody things that did happen,
nationwide, and of course we aren't immune, that how can you take the
chance of ignoring such things?  In the current one, California went one
direction, New York went the other (One would think that New York would
be more nervous?).

The BBC said that the e-mails traced back to Germany.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net