[Magdalen] Price Increase.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 17 21:22:06 UTC 2015

On 17/12/2015 19:35, ME Michaud wrote:
> But I suspect his significant kitty deficits are the result of his
> declawing.
>
> The gf, who was always at war with Mr.P over his furniture shredding, has
> insisted our next cat be declawed. So no cat for us. And there are vets
> here who won't declaw on principle.
> -M

Cats scratch to get rid of the dead outer layer of their claws  If they
don't do this then part of the claws is liable to always extend behond
the pad and catch on carpets or make slight scratches on wood floors.
The claws are there as a defensive/attack weapon so if the cat goes
outside at all it is probably best not to declaw.  That aregument
doesn't apply in the same way for a cat that is always indoors.

Since moving my remaining cat has shown no sign of wanting to go out.
Having her declawed could make life easier when I want to catch her to
take to the veterinarian or to or from the cattery as she wouldn't be
able to hold onto things so easily.  Getting off the wire netting at the
cattery to bring her home can be an issue to put it mildly.  Joan
decided she should be called Clytemnestra after the alleged
husband-murderer of ancient Greece and she did occasion a trip for me to
the ER because of a scratch trying to catch her as she leapt around the
pen at the cattery.  As she is now 17 with kidney problems and hogh
blood pressure I don't think I will suggest declawing.  The vet did
suggest blood pressure tablets but I said that would be a waste of time
as I wouldn't be able to get them down her.

Roger