[Magdalen] Assembly Line Christmas.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Dec 22 05:27:58 UTC 2015

In a message dated 12/21/2015 7:55:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

Bethel  Lutheran Church in Madison, WI, of Norwegian descent, always went
all out  for Christmas. When I lived there they boasted a membership of
around 7000;  I have no idea what it is now. The comparable German church
was Luther  Memorial, which was modestly high church as I recall, but not
nearly as  big. I think they're both ELCA  now.>>>>>>>
I don't know if it still has the numbers, but Mount Olivet Lutheran  had
more than 14,000 members at one point.

Bethel Lutheran Church strongly resembles Mount Olivet Church in
Minneapolis.  Both are built of that grey stone and in a neogothic  style.
Both have had big additions to accomodate the crowds.  The  Madison
area is noted for a large ethnic Norwegian population, and they have
naturally gravitated to Bethel.  Bethel is also famous for its  "Bethel
Series" which is primarily for training laymembers in the theology
of and the how-to's of the church.

Luther Memorial Church, a cavernous neogothic pile finds itself  essentially
on Campus.  It is right next to TEC Student Center, Saint Francis  House.
The UW-Madison Christmas Choral Concert is held there each year, and
features the UW Chorus, Men's Choir, Women's Choir, and UW A Capella
Choir.  I sang with the UW Chorus for three years, and singing  there
really meant Christmas to me.

David Strang.