[Magdalen] Crazy Sunday schedule

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 22 11:09:42 UTC 2015

On 22/12/2015 05:51, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> I know there are lots of little churches like this, including the two I served before, which are struggling with mostly lay leadership and  monthly visits from  a priest, but I don't see much future for them unless there is a totally new model. Working ecumenically with other churches in the area would be a possibility, but for many folks that's almost unthinkable.
>
> I guess the question is whether they should be closed or continue to limp along until folks die off. There is no growth potential in that rural area.

The same applies over here, thoigh with the added complication that many
of the churches are historic - old even in British terms. On Sunday I
looked at the congregation in one of the churches I serve regularly and
wondered how many of them would still be there in 10 years' time.  They
have not had their own shared priest since 2007, and before then tenures
were short because it was a part-time post. They hope new pastoral
arrangements which should bring greater stability, with a small team of
full-time clergy serving a larger group of churches, will come in later
2016.  We will see but that might help bring in mre younger people and
families.

Roger