[Magdalen] Crazy Sunday schedule

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Tue Dec 22 16:36:41 UTC 2015

Reminds me of the situation in Brandon, VT, where my wife Lee was interim
for ~2 years. It was a better situation than you describe, however, and may
show you a direction to go in.

There are also two churches, also about 5 miles apart. One is a largish
standard stone gothic building located in downtown Brandon (pop. ~4500); the
other is a very cute carpenter gothic wooden church in "suburban" Forest
Dale - a much smaller community. Forest Dale originally existed thanks to
iron mining & smelting and the church was built by the owner for his workers
(a common arrangement, as you probably know). The parishes both date from
the 1830's or 1840's or so, and have always had a common rector. When Lee
arrived (2006), they still had separate vestries but had long since
worshipped together, alternating between the two buildings. Her predecessor,
BTW, also had a long tenure - 20 years. While Lee was there the parishes
finally merged officially, and now the worship schedule is Forest Dale in
the winter, Brandon in the summer. (The Forest Dale church is smaller and so
cheaper to heat). There has long been talk of closing one of the buildings,
but - which one? One is centrally located but expensive to maintain, while
the other is out-of-the-way but cheaper to maintain.

So - combining the two parishes with services alternating between them is
one possibility, but, as you know, is easy in theory but can be very
difficult to accomplish. My personal experience tells me that any desire to
merge needs to originate with the parishes, and not with the Diocese.

Lee was also interim at two parishes in Fall River, with a schedule similar
to what you describe (but only two services, not three). And these were only
a mile or so apart, in a city. The parish with the early service always felt
a bit cheated, as the priest had to run off to the other service. They also
had a common priest for some years. They eventually merged and sold one of
the buildings.

Just my experience -

Chad Wohlers
East Bridgewater, MA USA