[Magdalen] Christmas Day

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 16:40:46 UTC 2015

A quiet day for me.  Lovely.  Thoughtful gifts to enjoy, including an
Orthodox-looking vigil light for my prayer corner, a cross and votive
candle from St Peter's Cathedral, Salzburg, and, totally unexpected, a
pair of shiny red gloves (that match my red shoes and boots) from one of
our marginalized parishioners.   She's always knitting and I thought
it'll be a washcloth or something.  Oh tears!

Last night's service went as well as we could make it, but, geez, our
P-i-C has the liturgical sense of a turnip and will not be moved.  Who
else would refuse to wear a cope on these occasions? So when we
accompany him around the altar when he censes it at the start, there is
no reason for us to traipse around with him, although we do, fufilling
the now-nominal roles of deacon and sub-deacon.  When will he dispense
with our services altogether, I wonder?  Who else refuses to stand
behind the altar  when he should be there?  Or is rooted there when he
should be elsewhere?  He wouldn't let me bring the book in procession to
the creche for him to read from.  It's all too 'fancy' for him, he said,
happy to do it from his bulletin.  But what about us??????? We are an
Anglo-Catholic parish, much as he would deny it.   His homily was
blessedly short and as dull as ever.   It would be a blessing to him and
to us if he could allow the mystery to enfold him and feed his senses
and fire his imagination.  Aaaargh!

My son and his partner are coming tomorrow for a couple of days, so I've
got stuff to do around here to ready the spare room.  Nice. And I've got
this Sunday off.  Yippee!

Marion, a pilgrim