[Magdalen] Christmas Day

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 17:11:08 UTC 2015

Last Sunday we had no deacon of the Mass, so our celebrant wore a
chasuble throughout, and we "left him alone" for censings and the
eucharistic prayer.

One thing I'm wondering about is holding the cope, which in the past
couple of years seems to have become an entirely practical
consideration in our parish: "No, I don't need you to hold the cope;
it's not one of the long ones." I had thought the deacon and subdeacon
were to hold the cope always, not depending on whether the celebrant
"needs" the help. It's what you do with a cope. Seems like it's
something that needn't be decided every time. The upside is that if
the celebrant doesn't "need" assistance with the cope, we can proceed
in single file, which is simpler and doesn't require the deacon and
subdeacon changing sides when we turn around. That's what was done
last night...single file for all processions, entrance, and exit. A
bit easier.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA