[Magdalen] Happy Christmas.

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Sat Dec 26 01:18:48 UTC 2015

It has been a pretty amazing day, and my heart is full of gratitude.  Woke
up later than my usual 6 am, due to late service and dawdling afterward
last night/early this morning.  Resolved not to attend AA at 7:30 this
morning, but at the last minute changed my mind, and arrived 1/2 hour
late.  Immediately learned that one of my favorites (turns out he's one of
everyone's favorites, with 30 years or so of sobriety, to boot) was in the
trauma ICU after a motorcycle accident.  I was able to visit after church
(clerical collar still works to get me in almost anywhere!), to bring
Christmas tidings to a banged-up and scraped-up and bones-broken friend,
but who was awake and alert.  I carried the news back to my fellows at the
1 pm meeting.  What a gift; what a privilege!  Then off to an open-house
gathering at a good friend's (she and her husband were our traveling
companions in France this late spring), where I ate in accordance with my
food program and had a good afternoon of companionship.  Then home to open
gifts with Cheryl (my housemate), while a duck cooked in the oven.  Dinner
was duck, roast squash, and a dish of salad.  Lovely day, and I'm
exhausted, hope I can stay up for the holiday special of "Call the Midwife"
at 9 pm.

Merry Christmas, my friends!  Many of you have been a gift to me since the
fall of 1996 when I began seminary and discovered the wild world of the
interwebs.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY