[Magdalen] Kurt Masur Dies.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 17:56:52 UTC 2015

On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Virginia Consort has baskets of cough drops at the doors for folks to take as they go into the concerts. I've always thought that was a brilliant idea!

Presumably they were wrapped in a quiet material. :) At a New York
City Opera performance of Don Giovanni many years ago, a woman in the
row ahead of me noisily unwrapped something from a crackly wrapper. A
woman in my row leaned forward and hissed, not whispering but in full
voice, "Will ya stop it with the chocolates?" To which the offender
responded, "They're not chocolates; they're hard candy!" To which the
complainer responded, "Whatevah!"

A true NYC moment, IMHO. We midwesterners would sit and stew, perhaps
roll eyes or sigh.

Good for Masur for stopping the music to make the point that the music
is what everyone's there to hear, and it should be able to be heard.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA