[Magdalen] Feast.

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 02:17:12 UTC 2015

It reflects the missional, church planting craze that is abroad in our
Diocese these days.  How could we possibly attract new people if we are
not serving up the same white bread approach as everyone else?
Unfortunately, there is a powerful and deeply-entrenched group that has
resisted our switch to being a-c _since the early Sixties_.  They
virtually drove away our previous priest and his predecessor (in my
nearly 8 yrs there).  Then they complain because nobody stays more than
four or five years!  They ran the Food Bank for 13 years (and kudos for
that although they were pretty unChristian to the users).  Now, probably
to their surprise,  some others of us have stepped up to the plate and
have a new good group of volunteers, a number of whom are food bank
customers themselves and love to be able to give back.  The fact of the
food bank and our location in a depressed area south of the 401 highway
has moved us from 'unsustainable' to 'strategic', but even if we were
full every Sunday there would be little more money in the plate from the
number of bums in seats.   So HQ's view is that if we are just like the
four churches north of the highway we will more easily be linked with
them for financial reasons. That is why we've been issued with this
wretched man who is doing what he is doing with the bishop's blessing.
Heigh-ho.

Marion a pilgrim