[Magdalen] Feast.

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Tue Dec 29 17:03:00 UTC 2015

Well, twirling umbrellas are distinctly Christian, from the Ethiopian
tradition.  And yes, there are other parishes in other dioceses that
experiment with liturgy (and are unofficially recognized by the Bishop for
doing so).  Trinity/Buffalo is one, and most dioceses have at least one.
Seminaries often fill that function, as well.  Look, it's not all to my
taste, but it's there, just as there are parishes that use a high
Anglo-Catholic liturgy that's not to my taste, either.  Some liturgical
experiments are successful and some aren't, but one never knows unless one
actually DOES the experiments.  And it's ALL Episcopalian, whether you like
it or not.  And it's within the Anglican tradition, which is always
changing (look at the 1979 New Zealand Prayer Book, for instance -- and
that's a long time ago!).

I'm just saying that it's not my parish, and therefore it's none of my
business to say who is Anglican and who is not, what is successful (for
them) and what is not.  Many members and leaders of St. G of N are
liturgical scholars who are very familiar with a wide variety of liturgical
and Anglican traditions (from CDSP and other places).  And yes, you may
comment however you wish.  I think accusing them of being "non-Anglican"
because they experiment with nontraditional/American-European liturgical
forms is over the line, but of course it's within your right to say it --
just like Donald Trump is protected by the First Amendment.  I have as much
right to have an opinion on what you say, as you do to have an opinion on
what other parishes do.

I'm sorry you don't like me using language that I've newly found helpful.
I'm aware that you're much my elder in sobriety.  I'll try to mind my p's
and q's under your most vigilant and critical eye.  But perhaps it stings
because the shoe fits all too well.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY