[Magdalen] Feast.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Dec 29 04:55:09 UTC 2015

In a message dated 12/28/2015 5:28:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu writes:

Lynn,  thank you for this.  I love Episcopal liturgy, of the relatively  low
(my friends who know tell me it's not really snakebelly), and  yes,
dignified (no liturgical dance with pompoms) variety.  But I have  very
little patience with those who can't tolerate experimentation  and
innovation in places other than your own.  New liturgies come  from
SOMEWHERE -- they don't just materialize out of thin air.  And  St. Gregory
of Nyssa is one of the many parishes in many dioceses (usually  recognized
as such by their Bishops) who are trying for beautiful,  innovative, and
yes, welcoming worship styles.  Nobody forces anyone  to attend a church
whose liturgical style doesn't suit them.  If you  (not you, personally,
Lynn) don't want to attend St. G. of N, then it's  "not your circus, not
your monkeys."  Or as I'm learning to say in AA  (and probably should say
before I even send this, but what the hell) -- two  handy phrases to keep in
your toolbox are "It's none of my business," and  "I have no opinion on
that."  There's also another handy  catchphrase:  "Live and let live."  I
say if you're not part of a  parish's life, then butt out of their
liturgical business and take care of  your own.>>>>>>>>
Sorry about this, but I need to respond to this frontal salvo.

There are not, to my knowledge parishes like SGN in other dioceses
of TEC.  It should be clear that significant liturgical change does  not
come by way of a "welcoming" parish in San Francisco where the
liturgy is not recognizably Anglican or even Western Christian.

Unfortunately, IMHO, many clergy and laity alike are enamored of some
of the, let's face it, wacky maneuvers at SGN, and then try to  emulate
bits and pieces of their stuff in their home parishes.  Anyone for  dancing
around the high altar at Saint Thomas Fifth Avenue?  Twirling  umbrellas
at the Offertory?

And I will not be told what I may and what I may not comment on
liturgically.
It's a free country, and a free list the last time I checked.  Save  the AA
lingo.  I had my 31st anniversary of booze free life yesterday.   I know
the AA
stuff backward and forward.

Just because I'm in recovery doesn't mean that I need to turn off my  brain.

David Strang - who has zero power to change anything at SGN, so  that's
a kind of built in "live and let live."  It's not like I'm the liturgy
police coming
in to shut them down.