[Magdalen] St. Anastasia

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 18:30:30 UTC 2015

There's great hoopla going on in town involving period costumes and
muskets, so I gave Trinity a miss (I don't care much for Trinity anyway)
and stayed out on the island this morning.

There were between fifteen and eighteen hundred people at 10:30 at
St. Anastasia. The Sheriff's Dept. was out on A1A directing traffic
after the service. And what a great time we had !

Fine sermon by a deacon (and a Maryknoll ... it's been years since I've
met one). He began by touching on the Superbowl and the excitement
generated by a great game & team and then went straight to the even
greater excitement of contemplating God's power in creation.

Music provided by a children's choir (untrained and not very disciplined
but with great pitch) accompanied by a piano and viola. Very effective.
I'd never have thought of using a viola to accompany children.

They spent megabucks on St. Anastasia and they got their money's
worth. Beautifully designed, gorgeously lit, and with a sound system
to die for.

On the way out I stood for some time in contemplation of the font.
There's a large hexagonal bit in white marble with a bubbler in the
middle. And behind it a white marble tub with steps and a bathtub
drain. They are all set to practice immersion. The paschal candle
had been placed on the wide rim.

The response to the psalm:
Today, if you hear his voice,
Do not harden your heart.

Monday: Candlemas (please bring the candles from your prayer
space so they can be blessed also)
Tuesday: St. Blaise
March 2nd-3d: John Michael Talbot will be leading a mission here
-M