[Magdalen] What are we reading?

Georgia DuBose gdubose at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 04:21:05 UTC 2015

"The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet," by David Mitchell, who also
wrote "Cloud Atlas." It's about the time at the end of the 18th
century when the Dutch East India company had a lot of influence in
Shogun-era Japan, before the Japanese allowed Westerners to step on to
the islands--they built little off-island islands as trade outposts. A
trader falls in love with a Japanese midwife...amazing, brilliantly
written story.

Georgia+