[Magdalen] Shuttered Cathedral May Become Slave Trade Museum.

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 14:46:18 UTC 2015

I think this is wonderful; there is so much about our involvement in the slave trade, North and South, that we don't know. The deWolf family has done much in the last few years to uncover and share their family's role. The video "Traces of the Trade," which was released a few years ago, is a powerful firsthand documentary of their journey into that painful past.
I, for one, was stunned to learn that the bulk of the international slave trade came out of Rhode Island! I had known of the involvement of the Episcopal Church; after all, it was the church of the wealthy land and plantation owners. VTS was partially built by slave labor. But it is still unsettling to keep learning how dependent our whole economy was on the international slave trade at one time. After the international trade was abolished, of course, we kept the domestic trade going for a long time.

At any rate, I hope the Diocese of RI and its supporters are able to pull this off.