[Magdalen] Shuttered Cathedral May Become Slave Trade Museum.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 15:52:20 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> Wasn't the nick-name something like Ft. Bennison after the bishop
> who spearheaded it's fortress-like construction?

Talking about the former Cathedral Church of Christ the King near
Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Indeed, the "gun turrets" on top with their two prongs were meant to
represent the beat of the hymn Onward Christian Soldiers. (Seriously!
I have the brochure somewhere.)

What I appreciated most is the circle-in-the-square theme,
representing the infinite within the finite...the Incarnation. The
very squareness of the exterior yields to the very circularity of the
interior. Even the downspouts carry the circle-in-the-square design.

Like many buildings of unique architecture, it had its problems
(drafts, leaks, impracticality of semicircular office spaces). But
it's notable for its symbolism and the fact that it did get built and
was used for many years.

It was also meant to be located near the intersection of I-94 and
US-131, as this is halfway between Chicago and Detroit and was thought
to be the epicenter of future industrial growth and development.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA