[Magdalen] Bishop Cook: Another unfortunate piece of the story

John Robison friarjohn00 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 19:10:31 UTC 2015

Okay, well, here we go.

First of all, the "preconcecration dinner" was the night before, so all the
clucking about her taking her vows drunk isn't really a part of this.
Again, it was the night before, after the rehearsal.

The Standing committee is, and was, bound by confidentiality rules, both
civel and ecclesial. If they had said anything they would have violated
those. Now if you think breaking the law is perfectly okay, because it
involved the demon rum if no other reason, then I can see where you're
going.

As for "somthing rotten" in the Diocies, well I could tell stories that
would make your head spin. During a dog and pony show for Sutton I was told
that a question I asked a candidate was "wasting everyone's time," and I
should not ask it again. The person who said this was flanked by two
clergy, both of whom cut me off when I tried to ask what was wrong with my
question. I was wasting time, and should know better than ask questions
that had "nothing" to do with the interests of the diocese as a whole. When
I complained I was told that I should have "known better" and to get over
it.

Bullying, often couched in the form of "truth telling" is fairly common.
There is a strongly entrenched group of people (clergy and laity) who have
helped develope the processes of the diocese, and want it keep it as it is.
Cosmetic changes are common, but the substance is still the same.
Essentially the Suburban Ann Arundel and Baltimore County (different from
the City of Baltimore) get pride of place in terms of attention and care
from the Diocies, and the Howard County followed by Fredrick, then the West
and the City. Bishop Sutton never had a chance once he was on his own with
no suffragan. The only Diocisan official who I ever whitnessed trying to
change that system was a cannon to the Ordinary who is now a Bishop.

The Budgeting process is about as transparent as a brick. The regions
(deaneries) start the process, and then it moves up the chain to a
committee. Nobody, outside of that committee and the Bishops, ever sees the
whole thing, all at once. I've been told that there hasn't been a full
audit in years.

It has taken me years to get over my time in MD, I even had a priest friend
in the Washington, DC, Diocies ask me why I kept second guessing the
reports at Convention, and I said that I was used to having to read between
the lines. She laughed and said that was "The Other Diocese."

There were, and are, lots of good things going on in MD, but behind that
lies deep, deep dysfunction.

--
John Robison Asc. Episcopal Carmel St Teresa

Check out my online Book Shop:  http://astore.amazon.com/friarsrumi-20

"Among the repulsions of atheism for me has been its drastic
uninterestingness as an intellectual position." - John Updike

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:
The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that
often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading
to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with
the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."  ~John Rogers