[Magdalen] Washington Post article on involuntary hospitalization of the mentally ill

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 01:02:25 UTC 2015

I've been out of the loop for some time, but a delusion that one had lunch
with Clark Gable would not be considered grounds for hospitalization.  I'm
not sure it ought to be ever.

Leaving aside the fact that consumers will say stuff just to get a rise out
of us, or they may be kidding, the delusion of having lunch with someone is
not an indicator the the person is a danger to self or to others.

A friend of mine who has been in voc rehab from back in the days when it
was OVR once told me about a patient whose job was to operate a complex
piece of machinery. "He operates it exactly the way the voices in his head
tell him to," George told me, making sure I actually understood just what
he was saying. "And you know what? We closed his case -- 'Rehabilitated.' "

People have very unrealistic ideas of who does and who does not need to be
locked up against his or her will.  Dealt with it for thirty years. Never
really did get comfortable with it. The last year of my work I was involved
in a case where the whole staff just hated the guy, and I seemed to be the
only one who could see that he was just being him.

No matter what the professionals do, they are going to make others mad at
them.  Some want to know why someone was allowed to run around loose, and
others are furious if someone is taken off the street for some kind of
threatening behavior.

I would think that Virginia would be pretty savvy about when to commit and
when not to, but it only takes a few people with an ax to grind -- looked
up to by peers as dedicated and expert staff -- to get that wrong outlook
on someone to destroy all the checks and balances.  The lady sounds like
she might have been one of those who just rattled the wrong cage once too
often and then gave them the excuses they needed to force her to accept
their help.  If a skepticism about the validity of mental illness were a
valid indicator, Tom Szasz would be locked up. long since.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente