[Magdalen] National TEC policy on Alcohol in the Church

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 5 15:01:03 UTC 2015

From: Grace Cangialosi

>I don't see anything wrong with making churches and their events alcohol-free
>zones. And no, I'm not saying we need to use grape juice...

Ah yes, alcohol-free zones because some folk are incapable of self control. Or,
if it's an illness, do what all people of good will would do, and stay away.

I realize that many seem to confuse getting drunk with something or someone to
blame other than one's own weaknesses and lack of self-control. So much of the
deterioration we see around us stems from this -- often with all manner of
litigation, starting with people responsible for auto accidents suing the
victim. It happens all the time. Everything that  goes wrong is someone else's
fault so the everyone else pays the price.

Many addicts already **do** stay away, because they know that snorting cocaine
or shooting up in a public place like a church hall is not going to be welcomed
by the non-addicts. And of course, sex addicts tend not to indulge in church,
either.

As for those who do drink alcohol, the church hall is a far better public place
to do it than, say, a saloon, as the peer group finds one getting drunk at such
affairs much to outré and people recognize that, I think.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie