[Magdalen] National TEC policy on Alchol in the Church

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 13:04:05 UTC 2015

Thanks, Ann. I was just interested in your thinking about it. I do understand that we're all adults and can decide whether or not to drink. I also know that for alcoholics, being in a situation where alcohol is being served can be extremely difficult. In fact, I know that rehab programs recommend that folks in recovery try to avoid those situations, at least in the early stages of recovery.  They can certainly have some control over that by avoiding bars, by socializing at AA events, etc., but do we want church and church events to be places they need to avoid?

I had the occasion to concelebrate with Morton Kelsey a couple of times at a conference, and he had made a point of using non-alcoholic wine. When we talked about it, he said that was the only thing he would use for Communion, and some alcoholics refused even that, saying that it tasted too much like regular wine and awakened their craving. He thought we should simply use grape juice.

I guess maybe it could be considered in the same light as Paul's injunctions in last week's reading about eating meat sacrificed to idols. If it proves a stumbling block to others, don't do it.

I don't see anything wrong with making churches and their events alcohol-free zones. And no, I'm not saying we need to use grape juice...