[Magdalen] National TEC policy on Alcohol in the Church

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 5 17:21:20 UTC 2015

From: Grace Cangialosi

>Yes, a person can choose to stay away from situations where alcohol is being
>served, and many do, and that IS an act of will and self-control. All I'm
>saying is >that I don't think they should have to make that choice about church
>events I can't think of a single situation that *requires* alcohol, even a
>wedding >reception.

Can’t think of any either. But the fact remains that if a church wants to do so,
it should have the right to do so.

>Is this kind of consideration any different than taking away a friend's keys or
>driving them home when they've had too much to drink?

Well, it's more akin to taking the keys away from everyone else so that the one
who should have the keys taken away is incapable of acceding to reality.

Should a church give up Prayerbooks and hymnals because it has members who are
blind and others need to respect that?

Cheers,
Jim