[Magdalen] Fwd: National TEC policy on Alcohol in the Church

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 5 17:47:52 UTC 2015

From: Cantor03--- via Magdalen

>About 25 years ago I attended the annual banquet of the local NE PA
>Chapter of the AGO=American Guild of Organists (Yes; I have been
>known to play the pipe organ).  There was a preliminary snack  buffet
>before we sat down to the meal, and there was a single bowl of  punch.

No one has ever confused the AGO with a Church <g>

>I hadn't had more than three or four sips of this pink liquid when I  began
>to feel light-headed, and it was a strangely familiar sensation.   Then I
>asked about the punch:  loaded with vodka and there was no  alternative.

>I know; I should have enquired about the punch.

Obviously not offering alternative(s) to the spiked punch was the wrong thing to
do. In my experience in parishes that served alcohol it was in a bottle or
carafe  and there would be no surprises. Attractive alternate equivalent
beverages need to be obviously present.

Let me add, that's why I have TWO crystal punch bowls for my on parties, and
make clear which is which.

>Those of us who have given up the booze are often very sensitive to
>alcohol, so there it was.  I was "high".

And its unconscionable to do what the AGO hosts did.

>On that occasion, I did scold the committee in charge of the banquet
>to provide an alternate, and they quickly rolled out some coffee.

Caffeine affects some people negatively as well.

Cheers,
Jim