[Magdalen] Oscars Schmoscars

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Feb 24 14:27:58 UTC 2015

From: Ann Markle

>indifference to such masterful storytelling.  I'll admit, the Oscars are
>smarmy and self-congratulatory, for the most part, but I'm also fascinated
>by what Hollywood finds award-worthy.  I always try to see all the nominees

As one who lives in a household where Turner Classic Movies probably gets more
time than any other provider, I can sympathize with the opinions on today's
movies.

As for the smarminess and vapidity of the Oscars, one has to ask how much of it
is media-driven? And not all of it pleasant -- consider the early hatchet job on
"Selma" that doomed its chances (well those "colored folk" are good at Rhythm so
we can cover our a***s with giving them award for a song).

It's also interesting to note that in all the hoopla about "political messages"
in the awards, that they all seemed related to the films (certainly much  more
attached than a Navajo woman's connection to "The Godfather."

It should also be noted that Citizen four has been avoided by the so-called
"Liberal Media" in Hollywood's Award to this important film.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie