[Magdalen] Oscars Schmoscars

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Tue Feb 24 13:13:39 UTC 2015

Dawn is a woman after my own heart.  I'm amazed to hear the general list
indifference to such masterful storytelling.  I'll admit, the Oscars are
smarmy and self-congratulatory, for the most part, but I'm also fascinated
by what Hollywood finds award-worthy.  I always try to see all the nominees
and see how my own opinions match up.  Usually they're quite different.  I
thought Birdman was pretty stupid, for instance, but thought American
Sniper was really good, despite my political differences with Clint
Eastwood.  I love a good story, and my estimate of how good a movie is, is
how deeply I get caught up in the world of the moviemaker, and how much I
think (and sometimes talk) about the movie afterward.  Love, love, love
movies.  I do not own many movies (though Cheryl's collection is pretty
good), and generally don't like the "old classics," though it was fun to
watch Casablanca again the other weekend.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu