[Magdalen] Rant

Jon Egger revegger at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:06:31 UTC 2015

David, one of the main reasons I worked for the VA was because it IS
basically socialized medicine, but not for everybody.  I never had to deal
with charge slips for patients and any of the other stuff of non-VA
hospitals.

BUT, the VA rules were very military-like.  When a patient was admitted or
transferred to the ICU, we had to fill out a form to place the patient on
what was called the SI List (Seriously Ill)  in triplicate.   I forgot who
got the copies...I think one copy went to admitting, one to the MOD/AOD,
and one to nursing supervisor.   One night we got a patient straight from
the ER in full code, and when I called admitting to report the death they
told me that the patient couldn't be dead because they weren't on the SI
List!  The VA finally got rid of the form...maybe at the end of the Clinton
administration.

+++
Grace & peace,
jon