[Magdalen] Happy New Year 2015

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 1 18:02:57 UTC 2015

I watched the New Year come in for about 10 minutes with simulcast of the
Peach Drop in Atlanta and the Times Square celebration.

For the rest of the evening I was playing with my new toy--a fairly decent
smart phone that accesses all the youtube one could desire.

So I've watched 20 minutes segments of the Feast of the Holy Family from
Notre Dame; midnight Mass and third Mass of Christmas from Cologne;
Midnight Mass from Rome.. I was surprised how lovely the Roman observance
was; no screeching tenors, beautiful chant of the Martyrology, and a brass
surprise at the Alleluia, the wonderful touch of placing an open Gospel
book behind the Christ Child in a shrine (the full scene is outside in the
square) Francis has toned down the beautiful vestments that Benedict used,
but he has shown some of the marvelous treasures of the Vatican all
pointing to Christ and not to individuals.  Benedict was an artist but of
the baroque variety. Francis may be an artist also; but he seems to have
good people in charge at least for Midnight Mass.

The Cologne Cathedral has massive processions with servers looking like
canons of the Cathedral and very good music.
Notre Dame also has excellent music and sufficiently lovely processions but
they are understated and everything is  perfectly timed with the organ
rarely completely silent but not bombastic.

I need to find out how to keep these programs continuing after 20 minutes.
I don't have problems on a computer.

Joe