[Magdalen] Kaeton's commentary

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Jan 3 21:56:48 UTC 2015

From: H Angus

>I'm sure it depends almost entirely on which person you either know personally
>or identify with strongly.

I think in this case we are all appalled by the hit and run aspect, which has
been confirmed in detail.

There's a rush to judgment on the underlying circumstances. Because of the hit
and run, most everyone here seems to think it's purely the driver's fault for
the accident. But we don’t know, and won’t know until the investigation is
complete.

>My neighbor has been in a wheelchair for 40 years because a drunk ran a red
>light, so pity for drunk drivers is not at the top of my list. But relatives
>and >friends of drunk drivers of course make every excuse in the world for
>them, as do relatives and friends of others whose actions result in someone
>else's >death or injury.

Very true. But cyclists often act like the relatives of the drunk driver in many
cases -- many excuses for bad behavior (seen certainly in explanations for
pedestrian deaths)  There's little penalty for bad behavior. And yes, I know
that there are many cyclists deaths due to bad and inattentive drivers so they
have as much right to complain as pedestrians, certainly.

>All this is plain human nature, and not really something to be blamed, I think.
>A person whose judgment is able to rise to heights of total objectivity is
> >probably not a very comfy person to be around.

Yes -- but I think we have an obligation to be objective and fair -- not decide
on partial information and hearsay that the discussion should thus be closed.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie