[Magdalen] Sauerkraut.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Jan 3 23:56:46 UTC 2015

From: Roger Stokes

>All of which are lovely with salad.  Cabbage and carrots in particular is
>called coleslaw when served dressed with mayonnaise.

Mayonnaise???!?!?! Nah -- gotta mix it with some buttermilk, apple cider vinegar
and lemon juice.

My mother hated coleslaw until I made it at home and then she loved mine. But
not stuff one buys.

I first made it for her using leftover buttermilk -- which all of us save my
grandmother disliked intensely. When she died -- with the aim of waste not want
not, I made it for the first time for the folks. (I had made it for Albert and
myself many times when we were on our own in California).

Sometimes I would put bits of an apple in as well -- ymmy!

Which reminds me -- one of the foundations of my parents' marriage was their
mutual loathing of Stewed Tomatoes. My grandmother would taunt them with "Would
anyone like some nice stewed tomatoes?" and the folks would answer in unison
"NO!!!!"

But Albert and I like stewed tomatoes, which means she had to buy extra cans if
she was going to offer it <g>.

Cheers,
Jim