[Magdalen] Kaeton's commentary

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 4 00:11:44 UTC 2015

Ginga has more experience than most of us would wish to have of the
interaction of civil law, ecclesiastical law and Gospel injunctions.
Compassion, empathy and sympathy are sometimes used interchangeably
whereas they are not exact synonyms.  A dictionary reveals subtle but
important distinctions between them and I believe Ginga has selected the
right one here.  Compassion expresses concern for the suffering of
another without actually sharing that suffering in the same way as
empathy and sympathy imply.  That is why pastoral compassion seems to be
appropriate for all caught up in this situation.

Alongside that we need to consider the facts and what should happen
going forward.  I believe the diocesan has made the right decision in
placing Bishop Cook on administrative leave.  She could not function
effectively until this situation has been resolved.  It is also right
that the civil authorities should be free to pursue their inquiries and
any legal actions without any ecclesiastical intervention.

Once those procedures have reached their conclusion, whatever that may
be, is the time for the ecclesiastical procedures to move forward,
taking the finding of any civil court as a relevant fact already proved.

Roger