[Magdalen] Kaeton's commentary

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 00:53:28 UTC 2015

Thanks for posting this, Ginga.  It's a good reminder of our human frailty, especially in the face of sudden crisis. I like, of course, to think that I would never drive away from an accident I had caused. But I have also remembered an incident from about 12 years ago and how badly I behaved.

Without going into detail, let me just say that I was stopped behind a truck as we waited for a stopped school bus in the oncoming lane. Suddenly I saw in my rearview mirror a truck top the rise and come barreling down on me at full speed. He clearly wasn't going to be able to stop, and I had nowhere to go.
Well, I wasn't injured, but my car was totalled. But what I remember with great regret was that when the poor driver rushed up to apologise  and make sure I was all right, I screamed at him, "You idiot!! Didn't you see that we were all stopped??!!
His brakes had failed, and he was probably as upset as I was, but I had thought I might be killed, and my nice persona went right out the window.
I can't be sure of what I would do if I were to cause a serious accident...