[Magdalen] coffee

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 20:00:12 UTC 2015

Hot tea drinkers are relatively exotic in the Upper Midwest.  My  ex-mother
in
law was one of them, and made it her campaign to attempt to get  restaurants
to make a decent cup of tea - essentially the dry tea bags and boiling  hot
water for her to pour over.  She succeeded in making a "scene" each  time
this scenario played out, but I'm afraid the restaurants up there are  still
making bad tea.

My mother and Aunt Helen just couldn't comprehend that some people
actually drink tea in place of coffee.  I'll never forget their blank
expression
when a cup of tea was requested on one of my mother in law's visits.

"Tea?  Uhh, uhh, TEA!  They ransacked their kitchen shelves, and  came
up with some Lipton tea bags that were probably as old as the hills,  and
God knows how the tea tasted.  She might well have asked for Marian  nectar.

OTOH, various iced teas are a summer favorite in the Upper Midwest.

David Strang.