[Magdalen] coffee

Susan Hutchinson shutchinsonca at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 22:30:30 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-04, at 1:31 PM, P. Dan Brittain wrote:

> As I recall, the Canadian bases were in Lahr and Baden.

And, until 1971 IIRC, the Canadian Army was in Nord-Rhein-Westfalen at Hemer, Soest and Werl. In the late sixties, when I resided in Hemer, and then Soest, we had a Canex in each (Werl had a clothing section as well, mostly supplied by M&S through the British). We sometimes shopped at a NAAFI (the British equivalent) close by, but our big adventures were to go shopping at the American PXes in Wiesbaden and Frankfurt. Canadians love shopping in the US, it is part of our cultural heritage! ;-)

Lahr (which was mostly the RCAF) is very close to the French and Swiss borders.

I wonder how many times you passed a short, blonde Canadian teenager in the PX in those days, David?

blessings
Susan

The Rev. Susan Hutchinson
604-319-7148