[Magdalen] coffee

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 20:00:43 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Jay Weigel <jay.weigel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Instant coffee is of the devil. That is all.

We keep some for emergencies (when other sources of caffeine have run
out for some reason).

I don't mind instant, usually. And I think it's more accepted as an
option in the U.K., judging from the Vicar of Dibley, where she offers
the handsome producer of Songs of Praise (played by Peter Capaldi,
who's now The Doctor) some instant coffee and the joke is that in her
excitement and nervousness she makes a silly quip about the sound that
happens when you open a new jar of instant coffee, not the fact that
she's serving it to a guest. She does ask, "Do you mind instant?" and
he's fine with it. There's no sense that this is improper in any way.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA