[Magdalen] coffee

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 20:25:05 UTC 2015

I do have a small (very!) jar of instant coffee in the freezer. It is used
in one recipe I have that actually calls for instant coffee. Otherwise, no.
If I am out of coffee, I drink tea.

I learned many years ago that a bit of coffee gives an incredible richness
to gravies, especially beef gravy, and a coffee pot roast is a wondrous
thing. When making pot roast, I usually add a half cup or more of coffee to
the braising liquid. You can't taste the coffee flavor later. Sometimes a
half cup of coffee and a half cup or so of red wine, just to vary things.