[Magdalen] Epiphany

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 07:52:45 UTC 2015

In a message dated 1/6/2015 2:17:43 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com writes:

I  generally get nothing out of read lessons.   >>>

Actually, that's the impression I've had with Episcopal congregations
in general.  When I look around during the course of the  reading,
all eyes are riveted on their own copies in the service leaflet.   It's
unusual to see anyone just sitting back and listening to the  readings.

In contrast, RC congregations do not have a written copy to refer to
and are all thus by default looking up and listening.  This is  not to
imply that they understand the aural lessons better than Anglicans,
but only to point out the denominational differences.

The only way I've experienced to get Episcopalians to pay much
attention to spoken scripture texts is to chant them.  Then they  will
look up from their written copies.

After all, all parts of the Western Liturgies can and have been sung
with the usual disclaimers about the sermon.  However, there was  one
rector of the local Procathedral about 20 years ago that dispelled  that
misconception.  He mounted into the pulpit one Sunday carrying  his
guitar, and sang his sermon to the somewhat startled congregation.

I've seen it all.

David Strang.