[Magdalen] Epiphany

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 18:03:37 UTC 2015

In a message dated 1/8/2015 12:45:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

I  sometimes wonder how some, if not almost all, of Paul got into the
canon.
But that's me.>>>>

There was an American soprano studying at the Hochschule fur  Musik
in Frankfurt/M, Germany when we lived there in the 1960's.  She  was
a member of Saint Christopher's (now Christ the King) Episcopal  Church
and a frequent soloist there.  She was possessed of a fine,  Wagnerian
voice that could easily overwhelm choir, organ, and congregation on
descants.

She was also a strong feminist.

She wedded an American oboe player during those years, and had a
full Solemn High Nuptial Mass.  I was subdeacon, and got the  unenviable
task of chanting the old Pauline '28 BCP wedding Epistle to her and  her
new husband kneeling in front of me.  The old "woman obey your  husband"
text seemed especially out of date and the humor of having me chant this  to
a Wagnerian soprano almost made me lose it.

David Strang.