[Magdalen] Epiphany

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 16:54:49 UTC 2015

Perhaps Paul was a love-smitten zealot.... and passionate.
Lynn

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 9, 2015, at 10:11 AM, Jay Weigel <jay.weigel at gmail.com> wrote:

Ann, I think you got a little unnecessarily defensive to a remark which
wasn't meant to be hypercritical. However, I do think you should step back
from your theological study experience and consider that of the average Joe
and Jane in the pew and their experience with Paul. Most of them haven't
had the benefit of much study, and how Paul is presented is often pretty
counter-productive..."He says this, and that's that." MUCH cherry-picking
goes on, and often, as with some of the OT passages that get brought up to
justify certain behaviors and viewpoints, Paul's sterner viewpoints get
emphasized, to the detriment of the better and more important stuff. This
is a major fault in much of evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity.

Now I am not and never will be an unabashed fan of Paul. I like much of the
writing but not all. It was kind of a relief to me to learn that Paul
probably didn't write all of Paul. I suspect he was not an easy guy to get
along with. I like the epistles in general but not all of them. However, I
don't see them as co-equal to the gospels, but as I said, regard them more
as commentary, similar to Talmud. That doesn't make them any less valuable,
as any Jew who studies Talmud would tell you.