[Magdalen] Quebec City.

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Sat Jan 10 17:59:58 UTC 2015

As Molly said, Quebec is officially Francophone only. While there may have
been bilingual signs many years ago, I don't believe they exist any longer.
Road signs and business signs are French only (unless you'd consider Tim
Horton's & Austin's Anglophone signs). There are far, far fewer Anglophones
in Quebec than there were decades ago.

Over here, aside from the "Bienvenue au New Hampshire" signs are all in
English. I was in Newport (almost on the border) not too long ago, and I
don't remember any signs in French. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see
signs in French in towns which straddle the border (e. g., Derby Line -
Stanstead) or in places which cater to Quebecois tourists (e. g., Jay Peak).
Bilingualism in French & English exists in northern Vermont but is fairly
rare. Lots of French-Canadian last names, however. French as a first
language in Vermont would be quite rare these days.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com